Wednesday, April 16, 2008

"cumming" over?

Lately I've been reading a lot of e.e. cummings. I figure if I'm going to understand tough poetry I might as well start with the toughest, right?

Anyway! Turns out I actually enjoy his stuff a lot! Though maybe a little unorthodox (think Picasso, only with words), his poetry has a lot to offer to those who are willing to go out on a limb and put in a little effort.

Here's a piece I particularly liked. It's untitled.


who are you,little i

(five or six years old)
peering from some high

window;at the gold



of november sunset

(and feeling:that if day
has to become night

this is a beautiful way)



cummings loved to play with the visual appearance of his poems and use punctuation in ways... well, frankly in ways it wasn't meant to be used (not to mention capitalization, case in point: "e.e. cummings").

Anyway, inspired by his use (or misuse) of grammar and words, I've started this little game.

Here's how it goes, take the letters in your first, middle and last names, then put them together to create a poem using only those letters. You can use whatever title you want and punctuation is totally fair game.

Here's mine. It's called, "Leaving."

Tak-tap-TiCk, r E (bl(Is)s) V!!
en.

Weird, huh? First one to figure it out wins a prize!

2 comments:

Anthony said...

What's this?! Kevin is bloggin' too?

Miss Stack said...

oooh my goodness, and I thought I was a nerd....