Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The Fence

Therefore, hold on thy way, and the priesthood shall remain with thee; for their bounds are set, they cannot pass. Thy days are known and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever.

- Doctrine and Covenants 121:9 (emphasis added)

It seems reasonable to believe that I'll never run a four-minute mile. Of course I'll never read every book ever written, or discover the answers to the math, physics and medical problems plaguing mankind. It's obvious that I have limits, my bounds are set, and yet I continue to live my life as if they weren't there.

I can't remember the last time I carefully pored over which books I would check-out from the library, knowing my selection would mean one less book I could ever read. I know I've never hesitated about listening to CD, knowing every track I selected also symbolized another song I would never hear. Some may call this irresponsible, living my life as if I had all the time in the world. Others may believe I'm simply living in denial. The truth is that I don't actually believe in my limits.

Bear with me.

Have you ever thought about how horrific it would be to have a point you could never pass, regardless of how much work or time or money you pored into it? To finally run as fast as you could ever run? To make the last dollar you were capable of earning? What a terrible world to live in! A world with an end in sight. In other words, a world without eternal progression?

Some may choose to live in that world, however, none of us have to. Our God has provided us with a way out. The bounds of the wicked are set, but the righteous, with God's help, have literally unlimited potential. We can (and will) pursue our interests and our loves, forever. Eternally improving, continually progressing past points which time could never measure.

How much better to serve in Heaven than to rule in Hell.

Further up and further in!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Updaaate!

Sam said...

That was an awesome post. I'm just now starting to catch up no peoples blogs and I'm really loving yours. Thanks for all your insights, they're awesome.