Friday, July 25, 2008

Soft Summer Searing

The summer heat and I have always had kind of a back and forth relationship.

I remember when I first arrived in Utah to a record breaking summer day. We stopped by a bank on the way to our new house and visited with a teller there while we were taking care of whatever business we had. The teller off-handedly commented on the scorching heat, to which I boomed, "Heat! Ha! This is nothing! We just got here from TEXAS!" Perhaps my response wasn't quite that blustering, or maybe not even really spoken aloud... at all... but I've never been more proud of my southern heritage! It seems like only a few short years later I slouched drenched and oppressed in New Orleans, Louisiana and caught myself hoping, just a little, for some of that nice dry Utah heat and a stiff breeze to dull its searing edge.

***

Heat

O wind, rend open the heat,
Cut apart the heat,
Rend it to tatters.

Fruit cannot drop
Through this thick air --
Fruit cannot fall into heat
That presses up and blunts
The points of pears
And rounds the grapes.

Cut the heat --
Plough through it,
Turning it on either side
Of your path.

- H.D.

1 comment:

Miss Stack said...

oh my, same feelings every day in India, wishing and praying for Utah, which seemed like a cool paradise compared to the humidity